Wednesday 23 September 2009

It's about to get very busy!

Hi all,
We were out at the weekend debuting our new Fiesta R2 car. We had an amazing weekend, finishing 4th overall, and mixing it with much faster machinery. We took the mornings stages to settle into the car. We were held up slightly on the first stage, as the car in front had gone off, we were also hampered by going out on an RS7 slick which I felt was a bit too soft for the abraisive surface. Still, we held a solid 7th place overall going into the first service. We altered some suspension settings, and wen't onto a harder RS5 tyre, wen't back out and repeated the same three stages again, and we slowly picked the pace up, setting times well within the top 5. We were now on the pace of the top two wheel drive guys, which was my aim for the weekend, and locked in a battle from 4th to 7th! We came back into service and put two new RS5 on the front, and back out again, with the hope of really giving it a good go. We were 4th fastest on stage 7, which pushed us up to 5th, and a big push on the final two stages saw us move in front of the Bustard brothers, and get fourth. Indeed we were second fastest overall on the last two stages, taking time out of Mike Quinn and Ed O Callaghan, which I never expected to do in my first rally in the car. I am over the moon at how well the weekend wen't, and the performance of the Fiesta R2. It's shaping up to be a great car in Spain, and I am now really looking forward to an overall result there!
Looking towards the next few weeks, we have the Bushwhacker Rally this weekend, which will be my first taste of four wheel drive in competition. I am putting no pressure on myself, and I am hoping for a steady day, in what is purely a test session for the Pirelli Star Driver Shootout in Sweet Lamb next month.
Me and Gareth are flying straight from there to Salou for Rally Spain. It's the Fiesta R2's WRC debut, so it's very exciting to be part of something new. We are very much looking forward to the event. I have been studying in-cars from the various different years, and the stages look awsome. Exceptionally fast and flowing, more similar to my days of karting than anything else.
In the mean time, I'm just keeping fit, keeping a good clear mind, and hoping the next few weeks go to plan.
I believe there is a lot of Irish people heading to Salou for the rally, so hopefully I will see some of you there, and please give us all the support you can!
All the best
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment